Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Pauly Sure?

I know my esteemed colleague M.C. Ginty already wrote about this, but being the spotlight hog that I am, I wanted to put in my own post.

I was a Pauler, not to be confused with the much more attractive Paulettes. As long time readers (Hi Ma!) know, I'm a small "g" government guy. Mr Paul was getting that message out, and, joy-o-joy's it was not only heard but cheered.

Then it came out that Mr Paul's wrote some letter's that nobody should cheer. So now I'm a Paul Bearer.

Lot's of hand-ringing going on in the strange world of Libertarian politics. Reason's folks go into it, and even cover some other's so I'll let them do it.

If you don't feel like clicking the link (odd how those new "lost body fat" commercials don't show blogging-I wonder how many clicks per pound?), I'll summarize. Mr Paul couldn't write that, TMR could be lying, doesn't detract from the message, old news, the Newsletters had his name but there's no proof he wrote them-lots of newsletters had ghost writers, blah blah blah.

Bottom line? Newsletter had his name on the top, its his mess. You can't run for leader of the free world and say that you couldn't even control what was going on in your own newsletter. If he didn't do it, he certainly didn't fire whoever did. That's what you do when you're the bossman and someone does something that appalls you (you even do it if it apples you). By not doing it, he condoned and in my humble opinion pushed the message. At that point, I don't care if you say it or not. It's on you.

It is for that very reason that today, officially, I'm done with Pauly. I don't support that message, so I cannot support that man. Yes, regardless of how appealing his other message is. I'm tired of playing the "support the bad guy to promote the good message" game. I don't support bad guys, no matter the message. No knots for me.

I do hope that the message that was well received doesn't go down with Mr Paul. Hopefully some non-homophobic, non-racist, non-lots-o-things will look around and think, "The small government message, strong it was. Too bad it is that young Paul took to the Dark Side, Hmmmm?" Then after that* Star Wars Geek gets trounced, hopefully someone normal will take up the message and we can all win.

Sorry M.C. (which, sadly was my rap name back in the day), didn't mean to "post you up," but I wanted to get my reaction directly on the record.



*Yup. Three italicized "that's." in one post. Now That's Incredible.

No comments: